The History of Education Society is an international scholarly society. Its purposes are to:
- Promote and improve the teaching of the history of education in colleges and universities;
- Encourage scholarly research in the history of education, and facilitate the publication and dissemination of the results of that research;
- Interest the educational profession and the public at large in the value of historical perspective in the making of educational policy;
- Promote library and museum facilities for the preservation of source materials in the history of education;
- Cooperate with specialists in other disciplines to interpret educational developments in a broad historical context;
- Encourage cooperation among specialists in the history of education throughout the world in joint studies and the exchange of documents;
- Cooperate wherever possible with organizations of professional historians and professional educators throughout the world.
The Society is affiliated with the International Standing Conference for the History of Education (ISCHE). Members of the Society are encouraged to join ISCHE and participate in the annual ISCHE conferences.